According to WDW Magic, Disney has clarified exactly what is going to happen during the massive renovation project at the Caribbean Beach Resort. It appears that with the food court and poolside bar being shut down (or ‘Shutters’ being shuttered if you’d prefer) that they will be relying on food trucks and kiosks to feed guests for the 18-24 months it will take to complete construction.
Staying at Caribbean Beach this year? Here’s what (and where) you can expect to eat…
- A Caribbean-style buffet for breakfast and a la carte offerings for dinner.
- A selection of grab-and-go meals available for purchase throughout the day in three island markets in the Aruba, Jamaica and Martinique regions of the resort.
- In-room pizza delivery will remain available. The menu includes pizza, sandwiches and pasta.
- Coca-Cola Freestyle machines will be available throughout the resort for Guests to refill their resort mugs.
- A new quick service location will open near Trinidad island this summer, featuring a walk-up quick service window as well as Guest services assistance in the evenings.
If they are indeed relying on food trucks, it’s not all doom and gloom. Disney food trucks are another experience entirely, and I look forward to seeing what they come up with to match the Caribbean theme.
The rumor is that with these renovations to Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs, Disney is looking to do away with the “moderate” resort altogether, and rather offer moderate-priced and deluxe-priced rooms at various resorts on property. Does this mean we’ll see a moderate-priced room at the Polynesian sometime in the future? Doubtful, but who knows.
To make up for the inconvenience, guests are reporting that Disney is offering $25 Disney gift cards per day of their stay at the resort or the ability to transfer to another moderate resort for the same rate. We can’t verify these reports ourselves, so you may want to check with your booking agent or call Disney directly.
UPDATE 3/1/17: It’s been confirmed that Disney has increased the Gift Card offer from $25 per room per night to $75 per room per night during the time frame of the Caribbean Beach Resort construction project beginning in May 2017. These cards will be presented to Guests at check in. Construction is scheduled to wrap up in June 2018. Contact your travel agent for more details or call Disney for more details.
Comment below or discuss it in the forums!
[Source: WDW Magic]