In honor of our favorite duck’s birthday today, June 9th, we wanted to share a few fun facts about Donald you may not know!
- Donald’s full name is Donald Fauntleroy Duck
- Donald was most famously drawn by Al Taliaferro, Carl Barks, and Don Rosa for comics
- Donald has been voiced by Clarence Nash (1934-1985), Tony Anselmo (1985-present), and Daniel Ross in Mickey Mouse Mixed-Up Adventures
- Two of his most popular catchphrases are: “Aw, phooey!” and “Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy…”
- Chip & Dale are considered to be Donald’s “enemies” as they are always annoying & ridiculing him!
- Donald Duck’s first appearance in film was in a 1934 cartoon called The Wise Little Hen
- Daisy Duck, Donald’s girlfriend first introduced in the cartoon Moving Day, was originally named Donna Duck
- Donald Duck has three nephews: Huey, Dewey, and Louie, who made their first film appearance in Donald’s Nephews. They had been previously mentioned before this film in comic strips!
- Did you know that in a 1938 poll, Donald Duck was voted more popular than Mickey Mouse?!
- Donald Duck is the mascot for the University of Oregon! They have a special licensing agreement with Disney, to use his likeness as their mascot dresses in the school’s colors of green and yellow!
We love to learn something new about our favorite Disney characters, and we hope you did too! If you see him around the parks today, make sure you wish him a Happy 88th Birthday!