No matter which of Walt Disney World’s four parks you visit, you will find the tasty Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana Pops for sale. They count as a snack credit on the Disney Dining Plan and are available at the popcorn and novelty ice cream carts, as well as many different sweet shops across the property like Maurice’s Amazing Popping Machine and Big Top Souvenirs Treats in Magic Kingdom. They’ve been around since the 1970’s, so chances are you’ve seen them (they’re shape is hard to miss)! They have gone up in price from $2.50 to $5.75 over the years but have maintained their status as a popular guest favorite.
As you may have guessed, this treat is an entire frozen banana on a stick and dipped in chocolate then covered in nuts. When the banana is frozen, it tastes just like ice cream, making this snack both delicious and nutritious! While no one can deny the greatness that is a Mickey Ice Cream Bar, there is something about the Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana Pop that make it my first choice on a sunny park day! Maybe it’s because they’re easier on the stomach before a thrill ride. Maybe it’s because the frozen banana keeps the chocolate from melting all over my hands as I enjoy it in the hot sun. Maybe it’s the fact there’s a healthy fruit at the center of it and because they’re kid-friendly. Or maybe it’s ALL of the above!
You may find different versions of Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana Pops with rainbow sprinkles, peanuts, walnuts, coconut, chocolate candy shell pieces, toffee bits or drizzled caramel and white chocolate. When planning our next trip, my family and I recreate these at home to remind us of that satisfaction and joy we feel when we bite into one on a hot Disney day in the parks. They are so simple to make and are sure to become a regular menu item in your house! You only need three ingredients plus your desired toppings. Within minutes, you’ll have a frozen Disney treat to transport your mind and taste buds right back to Fantasy Land!
Chocolate Covered Frozen Banana Pops Recipe
- 6 Light yellow bananas
- 1.5 cups chocolate semisweet chips
- 1 tbsp coconut or canola oil
- ½ cup each – peanut, walnuts and rainbow sprinkles
- Peel bananas and cut off bottoms, then slice in half.
- Insert a Popsicle or lollipop stick into the center of the banana piece so that it is comfortable to hold and sturdy to support the banana.
- Lay banana on a baking sheet or pan lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat process with remaining bananas.
- Freeze bananas on a flat surface for an hour until hard.
- Place chocolate chips into a microwave safe mug with oil and microwave for 1 min (additional time may be needed; microwave in 30 second increments to prevent burning). Stir to combine and make smooth.
- Dip each frozen banana piece into the mug of melted chocolate. Allow excess chocolate to drip off.
- Quickly apply toppings while chocolate is still soft (before hardening).
- Place chocolate covered banana back onto parchment paper and repeat process with the remaining bananas.
- Serve immediately or store in freezer. Enjoy!
Why stop at bananas? Many other chocolate-covered fruit goodies have popped up in confectioneries and sweet shops across Walt Disney World Resort property such as strawberries and pineapple! Repeat the process above with your favorite frozen fruit and enjoy each magical bite!
Looking for more DIY Disney recipes? Check out the links below! This Disney-loving Dietitian is always coming up with tasty and guilt-free ways to bring the magic of the parks into your kitchen at home. Share your TKI Disney-Inspired recipe creations on our Facebook page or leave a comment below!
50’s Prime Time Cafe Peanut Butter n’ Jelly Milkshake
Star Wars Blue Milk Recipe – Bring Batuu to You!
Pluto Snack and Activity Time
DIY Dole Whip
Green Smoothie of Te Fiti
Dietitian’s Favorite Disney Family Recipes
Want to go on vacation?
We recommend Academy Travel, a Disney Diamond Earmarked agency. Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, Universal Orlando Resort, Sea World and more -- they can do it all, and at no extra cost to you! Fill out the form below or call 609-978-0740 today!