One thing I am missing like crazy from Disney Parks is the taste and smell of CHURROS!
A churro is a pastry made from fried dough and coated in a sugar and cinnamon mix. You can find them all over Disney Parks and served a number of different ways during limited time celebrations and on seasonal menus. Churros are arguably the most popular and sought-after Disney snack in the parks. You’ll find the typical churro served with a side of caramel sauce, but you’ll also find churro-inspired treats like the Churro Milkshake in Hollywood Studios and the S’mores Churros in Disney California Adventure too. Are you drooling yet?
I researched churro recipes, and while I’d love to fix an exact Disney Parks version (see here) I decided to recreate a lighter (and easier) version based off supplies I already had in stock at home. I carried the very essence of the churro over to another fan favorite – POPCORN!
Try my Churro Popcorn recipe! It’s a lighter take on the Disney fan-favorite Churro recipe, but the flavor and aroma of this delicious recipe will take your mind right to Main Street USA! I love sharing Churro Popcorn with my kids since corn is a whole grain and makes a great snack. It’s easy to make and takes less than 15 minutes to whip up. Check it out!
1/4 cup popcorn kernels (or 1 pack microwavable popcorn)
1 + 3 Tbsp coconut oil or butter
3 Tbsp light brown sugar
3/4 + 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Set oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil until melted, then add 1/3 cup popcorn kernels and allow to pop. Watch closely to prevent burning. About 5-8 minutes. Note: If using microwavable pop corn, simply prepare accordingly to package instructions. Set cooked popcorn aside in a large mixing bowl.
- Over medium heat, melt 3 Tbsp coconut oil. Once melted, add in 3 Tbsp light brown sugar. Whisk to thoroughly combine. Add in 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract and whisk until well combined.
- Pour mixture over popcorn kernels in bowl and gently toss to coat using a spatula.
- Lay out popcorn mixture onto baking sheet. Place in oven for 4 minutes. Remove and gently toss, then bake an additional 4 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt and 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon. Allow to cool before serving. Enjoy!
This recipe is vegan and gluten free! It is perfect for sharing with friends or family as a Disney Movie Night homemade snack. If your family is anything like mine, they’ll finish their share by licking the bowl clean!