When I think of comfort food, a hot grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of tomato soup always come to mind. Here at Universal Orlando Resort, we’re more than familiar with offering delicious comfort food during your vacation. Now, you can bring a taste of that Universal comfort to your home with the Big Apple Grilled Cheese from TODAY Cafe. This fun twist on grilled cheese combines the savory flavors of melted cheesiness and tomatoes with the crisp sweetness of apples all in one sandwich. It’s a great lunch option for your kids or for the big kid that’s in all of us. Bonus points for being an easy recipe to tackle for those of us who aren’t necessarily cooking savvy (aka me).
Big Apple Grilled Cheese Recipe
- 2 slices of white bread
- 2 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 slices of Swiss cheese
- 1 slice of pepper jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon roasted plum tomato
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 thin slices of Red Delicious apple
- Butter two slices of white bread with softened butter
- Remove the core of the apple and cut into 4 wedges
- Thinly slice one wedge of apple and set aside for later
- Place bread butter side down into non-stick fry pan on medium heat
- Begin to build the sandwich by laying the pepper hack and Swiss cheese on one slice
- Allow the cheese to begin to melt from the heat below
- Once the cheese begins to soften, place apples and tomatoes on top of the slice with cheddar
- Using a spatula, flip the side with the pepper jack onto the other side and press for one minute
- Ensure that both sides are golden brown, remove from pan and place onto cutting board
- Cut in half and enjoy the cheesiness!
- Serve with your favorite side of fruit, potato salad, or whatever your heart desires.
Roasted Plum Tomato Recipe
Yields approximately two cups
- 1 plum tomato
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut one plum tomato into quarters
- Place onto baking tray with parchment paper
- Season with salt and pepper and a teaspoon of olive oil
- Place into oven at 15 minutes
- Remove from oven and allow to cool down
- Once cooled, chop tomatoes to desired size
- Set aside for later when making your sandwich
This content was originally published on on the official Universal Orlando Resort Blog. The Kingdom Insider takes no responsibility for errors in syndicated content.
Want to go on vacation?
We recommend Academy Travel, a Disney Diamond Earmarked agency. Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, Universal Orlando Resort, Sea World and more -- they can do it all, and at no extra cost to you! Fill out the form below or call 609-978-0740 today!