In my work as a Registered Dietitian-Nutritionist, clients come to me feeling discouraged when both leaving for Walt Disney World vacations and upon returning home from them. Many are looking to manage blood sugar levels, heart health, or follow a weight management plan and believe they have to put their healthy intentions on hold while vacationing. When you think of theme park food, your mind probably goes straight to cupcakes, French fries, cheese burgers, hot dogs, and candy. While you will certainly find these things at Disney, you’ll also find tons of healthy items too! Disney has raised the bar in terms of offering a variety of foods that appeal to many different tastes and nutritional needs. I love pointing these out to folks so that they feel more confident in making healthy choices while still having fun and enjoying what they eat! Here are my top healthy picks in Magic Kingdom Park.
Liberty Square Market – Before or after your visit to Hall of Presidents, swing over here for healthy snacks or a heavy dose of protein!
- Trail Mix
- Whole Fruit
- Cuties Mandarin 3 Pack
- Turkey leg (Heart Health Tip: remove skin to reduce saturated fat)
Prince Eric’s Village Market – Looking for a little revitalization in Fantasyland? You’ll find a salty low-calorie snack and the fresh fruit for a sweet boost in fiber.
- Turkey Leg
- Jumbo Pretzel
Pinocchio Village Haus – Real boys and girls can grab quick snacks to hold them over until their next meal with these menu picks below.
- Dannon Greek Yogurt
- Small Side Salad
- Side Antipasto Salad
- Tomato Basil Soup
- Low fat milk, Coffee, Tea
Auntie Gravity’s Galactic Goodies – For the most refreshing smoothie in the universe- stop here!
- Strawberry Fruit Smoothie
Gaston’s Tavern – Looking to regain some strength? You won’t find five-dozen eggs, but you will find fresh options and wholesome beverages to refuel with!
- Fruit and Cheese Picnic Platter
- Apple Slices with Caramel Sauce
- Celery and Carrot Sticks with Dip
- Hummus and Pretzel Chips
- Mini Babybel Snack Cheese 3 pack
- Water, 100% Orange Juice, 100% Apple juice, and milk
Plaza Ice Cream Parlor – For lighter options to satisfy your sweet tooth, consider these.
- No Sugar Added and Fat-free Chocolate or Vanilla Frozen Yogurt
- No sugar Added Raspberry Sorbet
- No Sugar Added Butter Pecan
Tortuga Tavern – Watch out for Pirates, they’ll want to steal this spicy snack right from your hands!
- Tostones with Black Bean Salsa
Main Street Bakery – Get your quick pick-me-up here and check out some healthy ordering tips below.
- Spinach, Feta, Egg White Wrap
- Order coffee, espresso and tea beverages unsweetened with low fat milk or almond milk. Skip the whip and drizzle to save additional calories. If you love the decadent real deal orders then go for the smallest size option (tall) to keep your wallet and waist-line in check!
Be Our Guest – Bon Appetit! Feel like the Belle of the Ball with your choice from these healthy finds.
- Scrambled Egg Whites Served with Chicken Sausage, Roasted Tomatoes, and Fresh Fruit
- Spring Salad with Shrimp or Chicken- Sliced Golden Beets, Roasted Peppers, Chilled Green Beans, Pickled Shallots, Carrots, and Herb Vinaigrette
- Cannellini Bean Cassoulet – (Plant-Based) White Cannellini Beans with Onions, Red Peppers, Zucchini, Eggplant, Tomatoes, Garlic, and Fresh Herbs served with Broccolini and Crostini
Cinderella’s Royal Table – Feel like royalty from the inside out with these tasty picks!
- Royal Avocado Toast – Multigrain Toast, Plant-based Eggs and Cheese, Avocado, Radish, and Jalapeños
- Baked Quiche – Goat Cheese, Spinach, and Mushroom Quiche with a dollop of Goat Cheese Cream served with Arugula and Roasted Bell Peppers
Lunch & Dinner
- Castle Salad – Hearty Mixed Greens, Toasted Pumpkin Seeds, Riesling-marinated Golden Raisins, Pink Lady Apples, and Maple-Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Protein Bowl – Choice of Beef, Chicken, or Plant-based Protein – Farro Wheat, Red Quinoa, Toasted Hazelnuts, and a Grain Mustard-Herb Dressing
- Lemon Sorbet – Garnished with Blueberries, a No Sugar Added Dessert
Columbia Harbour House – Reel in your group to enjoy these nutritious finds!
- Grilled Shrimp Skewer or Grilled Salmon served with Vegetable Rice and Green Beans with Carrots
- Lighthouse Sandwich – Hummus with Tomato and Broccoli Slaw served on Toasted Multigrain Bread with House-made Potato Chips
- Plant-based Harvest Chili
Cosmic Ray’s Starlight Café – Grab this outta-this-world dish for a light meal!
- Greek Salad- Vegetarian or with Grilled Chicken- Feta, Tomato Relish, Banana Peppers, and Kalamata Olives tossed in a Greek Feta Vinaigrette Dressing
Jungle Navigation Co. LTD Skipper Canteen – Hungry for a healthy adventure? We love the exotic and nutritious dishes here!
- Shiriki Noodle Salad – Noodles, Edamame Beans, Mushrooms, Green Mango, and Cucumber tossed with a Sweet Chili Sauce. Famously served at Hotel Hightower on December 31, 1899
- Jungle Green Salad – From the depths of the Jungle…Skipper Bill’s Iceberg Wedge with Shishito Peppers, Radish, Hearts of Palm, Cucumbers, and Pistachios with an Ají Pepper-Yogurt Dressing
- Falls Family Falafel – A secret recipe of Chickpeas, Garlic, Onions, Lemon Juice, and Herbs served with House-made Edamame Hummus and Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Curried Vegetable Crew Stew – A favorite of the Crew Stew Crew (especially Stu). Seasonal Vegetables and Pineapple Tofu in a House-made Curry Sauce served with Coconut Rice
- Perkins Thai Noodles – Tofu, Seasonal Vegetables, and Rice Noodles tossed in a Spicy Soy-Chili-Garlic Sauce. A favorite of our friend Pamelia Perkins, Adventurer’s Club President. Available with Chicken
- “A Lot at Steak” Salad – We’re betting it all on this one! Grilled Steak, Romaine Lettuce, Spring Mix, Pickled Jalapeños, Red Onion, Queso Fresco, and Pumpkin Seeds tossed in a Chimichurri Vinaigrette
- Sustainable Fish – “Not Piranha,” served on a Cassava Cake with Wilted Greens and a Guava-Habanero Sauce
Liberty Tree Tavern – Hearty and healthy options- true to the spirit of a New England menu!
- Vermont Cheese Platter with traditional accompaniments
- Roasted Vegetable and Tomato Soup
- Colony Salad – Grilled Chicken, Washington Apples, Sweet Pecans, Applewood-smoked Cheddar, Dried Cranberries, and Honey-Shallot Vinaigrette
- Revolutionary Meatloaf – Plant-based Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, Garden Vegetables, and Mushroom Gravy
- Seasonal Sorbet, A No Sugar Added Dessert with Berries
Pecos Bill’s Tall Tale Inn and Café – This Old West Saloon has options for cowgirls and boys to fuel your ride off into the sunset!
- Southwest Salad – Vegetarian or with Grilled chicken, Mixed Greens topped with Roasted Corn and Bean Salsa, Tomatoes and Tortilla Crisps
- Jerk Chicken Lettuce Wraps – Bib Lettuce Cups filled with Jerk Chicken topped with Vegetable Slaw and tossed with Soy Lime Vinaigrette
- Veggie Rice Bowl – Yellow Rice topped with Black Beans and Roasted Vegetables, optional add seasoned chicken
The Plaza Restaurant – Savor the flavors and elegance at a Magic Kingdom favorite.
- Wedge Salad – Half Wedge of Iceberg Lettuce served with Tomatoes, Onions, and Cucumbers topped with Dairy-free Cheese Shreds and Plant-based Ranch Dressing
- Tomato Soup
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich – Grilled Chicken Breast topped with Bacon, Rémoulade, Bruschetta, Provolone, and Arugula served on a Brioche Bun with Seasonal Vegetables,
- Chicken-Strawberry Salad – Garden Greens, Grilled Chicken Breast, Cucumbers, Fresh Strawberries, and Gorgonzola tossed in a White Zinfandel Vinaigrette
Who knew there were so many healthy finds to be had at Magic Kingdom? We love that there are options to eat healthy and balance out the indulgences enjoyed while on vacation. It sure makes for a magical experience no matter what your nutrition goals may be. Remember, this is not an all-inclusive list, and many kitchens are able to make healthy substitutions upon request, so to be sure to ask when you’re feeling lost. For example, ask to swap out crispy chicken for grilled chicken in salads and sandwiches. Ask for light dressing, or dressing and sauce on the side, so that you can limit the amount used. Swap out fries and chips for apple slices, mandarins or vegetables on the side. Opt for water instead of soda or juice to keep beverage calories to zero. Consider sharing your meal with another guest in your party or ordering from the appetizer or kids’ menu when your appetite is small. Speaking of Kids Menus, check back for our kids’ version of healthy Magic Kingdom picks soon!
Looking for more info on healthy menu picks at Walt Disney World? Check out some linked articles below!
Want to go on vacation?
We recommend Academy Travel, a Disney Diamond Earmarked agency. Walt Disney World, Disneyland, Disney Cruise Line, Adventures by Disney, Universal Orlando Resort, Sea World and more -- they can do it all, and at no extra cost to you! Fill out the form below or call 609-978-0740 today!